Wednesday, April 05, 2006

BlogBlurb - The Future of English Teachers

A High School baseball coach was recently fired for his impropriety of workplace equipment usage, rather than his apparent lack of grasp on the language he's been hired to teach.

Rudy Rios admits he used a district copier to make fliers encouraging Hispanic students to attend a rally protesting restrictions on illegal immigration.

But the hilarious part is that according to the Houston Chronicle, the fliers read:

"We gots 2 stay together and protest against the new law that wants 2 be passed against all immigrants. We gots 2 show the U.S. that they aint (four-letter expletive) with out us (sic)."

Rios is an English-as-a-second-language teacher, and is keeping that position despite his ouster from the baseball program.


Houston, we have a problem...
this is the man teaching your students how to speak English.

Hat tip: WND.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Gayle Miller said...

The older I get (and I AM old), the more grateful I become for the sacrifices my parents made to give me a firstrate education. I used to say "I survived Catholic school" but I can read, speak and write fluently in English and can still read Latin, a rather useless accomplishment. And I do thank the nuns who imposed and maintained academic discipline on us and made us serious and successful students and citizens.

1:42 PM  
Blogger eye said...

I wouldn't say Latin is entirely worthless.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Mr. Ed said...

Thank you for acknowledging that. :) Latin, is in fact very helpful in understanding the true root meanings and origins of many words we now use entirely out of context.

Suffice it to say, "Latin Americans" would benefit from a stronger understanding of the English language. Funny how the world goes round.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home